Information regarding Novel Corona Virus
Collection and transportation of throat swab
- Collection of throat swab
- Wear gloves, gowns and masks
- Fill up the requisition form with all the details
- Check the expiry date of the VTM kit before collecting the sample.
- Ask the patient to open his/her mouth. Depress the tongue and collect the sample by swabbing the posterior pharyngeal wall with a swabstick. Place the swab in VTM vial; break the excess length of swabstick so that it fits into the screw capped VTM tube. Place the tube vertically in the icebox with Ice pack.
- Label and check patient’s name between requisition form and collection tube.
- Transportation of specimens to the laboratory:
- Transport the clinical specimens in cold chain condition along with requisition form for viral diagnosis in triple layered package; vertically placed in icebox, to National Influenza Center , NPHL, Kathmandu as soon as possible.
- In case of delay in transportation, store the specimens at 4o At the most, within 2 days sample must reach NPHL.
- If the specimen cannot be sent to the lab within 48 hours, they should be frozen at or below – 70oC (in ultra-low freezer). After freezing, specimen should be transport in cold chain.
NOTE: Freezing and thawing must be avoided, to prevent the loss of infectivity.
Dr. Shrawan Kumar Mishra
Mr. Rajesh Kumar Gupta
Please donwload the Sample Collection Form below:
Sample Collection Form
Please find the nCov Interim Guidelines below:
nCov Interim Guidelines
link to Who Surveliance Case Defination